Children love to play outdoors. Even though the hot, summer days are mostly behind us, fall brings crisp, cool weather that is in some cases even better for outdoor activities! At first it might seem a challenge to figure out what to do in the new temperatures, so we have put together a few family-friendly ideas that all ages can enjoy!
- Feed the animals! Animals love visitors as much as we love to visit! Look into local ponds, lakes, or even animal charity organizations.
- Get out and meet the neighbors (or invite them out to play!). Not only is it great for kids to socialize, but they also learn teamwork, sportsmanship, and coordination.
- Have a trail? Ride bikes! No trail? Often parks have great areas to ride too, serving as the perfect place to help your little one throw out the training wheels.
- Everyone loves scavenger hunts! Whether it’s finding nature items, or setting one up in the backyard with toys or household times, it is something kids of all ages love!
- Find a local pumpkin patch! At the very least it is a great place for photos! At some of the larger ones, they often have games, contests, hay to climb, snacks, petting zoos, etc.
- Decorate for Halloween or fall! For big kids, carving pumpkins is fun! Or for little ones, they can draw on or use stickers to decorate!
- Attend or have a Halloween event! Local businesses often have fun events for everyone!
- Go on a picnic and fly a kite! Jump in a pile of leaves!
- Borrow activities from a fair or party! Bob for apples, have a pie eating contest, dress up and take photos!
- Take a nature walk! You can also add in #4 here too!
Whether you use one idea or several, these tips should help you get outdoors and enjoy the fall weather and fun season with your loved ones!